Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Just a few FAQs




Hi and welcome to my blog! The more I read and talk with friends and family about my upcoming Peace Corps adventure the more necessary a blog seems to become. So, here it is, my first official blog post!

I suppose it might be beneficial to answer some of the FAQs right out of the gate:

Why the Peace Corps?

There were a number of elements that factored in to my decision to volunteer, all of which played a relatively equal role. However, the challenge and adventure that the Peace Corps offers was a leading factor, if in fact there was one.

I knew that long-term international experience in a new environment would test me in ways that I haven’t been tested before. It would also offer an opportunity to explore a new perspective and the perspectives of others that I would have otherwise never encountered. Also, I won’t have a microwave or washing machine, which will probably be challenge enough.

The desire for long-term international experience itself was a driving factor in my decision. When I was a senior in high school one of our teachers asked us to write letters to ourselves in 5 years. Now, graduating college in May four years later, I never forgot the very first thing I wrote to myself in that letter. “If you aren’t living in another country when you read this, leave tomorrow.” I can’t imagine disappointing my past self like that, so I knew I had to beat the delivery of that letter.

Another factor, of course, was the opportunity to contribute to our global community. This type of contribution has been a consistent goal for me and I am excited to have the ability to do so at this level. I hope that I will not only be able to teach the Communication and Information Technology tools that are continually altering our world (in ways that if I were to list would surely impress my Communication Theory professors, but bore you) but to inspire those I will be teaching to use those tools in all of their influential (unlisted) ways. That being said, I remain convinced that I will ultimately learn more from the people I will live and work with in Tanzania than I will ever be able to teach myself.

The answer to this first FAQ has proven to be longer than I had originally expected (which is probably a good thing) and I could say even more (maybe in a post to come). However, in the interest of keeping your attention (and avoiding obnoxiously long blog posts) I will end with a few shorter FAQ answers. (And try not to say anything else in parenthesis. Why am I doing that?)

Where? Tanzania

More specifically? I will let you know when I know.

How long? 27 months

What? Teaching Communication and Information Technology to Secondary Education students. (Our high school equivalent (Sorry, I can’t seem to stop))

When? Leaving June 13, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment